Whenever it comes to choosing gifts for your colleagues or loved ones, the most common question that arises – “How much should I spend?”
And as you have probably figured out – there’s no universal answer.
It depends so much on the occasion and the recipient that one can’t simply decide: “From now on, I will spend not more than $36 on a gift”.
But, as you may imagine, there are still some statistics on how much people usually spend buying presents.
What if someone had a way to figure out what price ranges people are most interested in and researched them through several countries?
That’s exactly what we did here at Giftpundits!
*If you’re a data nerd and you want to know where these statistics are coming from, scroll to the very end of the article, were I explain the origins of that data
If you wonder what one can buy with this money,
here is a couple of great examples we’ve found on Amazon:
*as of Dec.21 2018
- WILTON-Metal Cookie Cutters
- Metal cookie cutter in a fun shape! Each cutter features deep rolled edges for safe and easy use
- Made in United States
- 3 inch wide
No products found.
- Material: Resin
- Color & Style: Random
- L x W x H: 5.2cm x 3.7cm x 8.5cm/2.05" x 1.46" x 3.35" (Approx.)
- Light, stable, durable and multiduty.
- The lovely clip use for photo, paper, notes, etc.??? memo note holder memo note pad holder
*as of Dec.21 2018
- ★【SIZE & PACKING】Fit for Sock size 8-14, men's shoe size 7-13. 1 pair comes in each plastic zippered Zmart bag.
- ★【QUALITY MATERIAL】we use 80% cotton, 17% polyamide, 3% spandex to ensure our socks are soft, comfortable, stretchy and breathable. No fading, hold up well in the laundry.
- ★【EGG PATTERN】Start your day with Bacon and Eggs Socks. Red and white strips of bacon and golden and white sunny side up eggs stand out on blue socks.
- ★【ALL-PURPOSE STYLE】Eliminate the need to sort and pair-up! Suitable for men's sandals, boots, sneakers, running shoes and dress or formal shoes. The eclectic designs of food socks can be worn with school uniforms, casual jeans, weddings, dressier suits, and business formal outfits.
- ★【PERFECT GIFT CHOICES 】They could be your perfect gift choices for your beloved ones on holidays, like Father’s Day, Thanksgiving and etc. Unique birthday gifts for your son, grandson, husband, boyfriend, father, grandpa or groomsmen. Besides, it is wonderful for any occasions like shcool, parties, office and any other places indoors or outdoors.
- Designed for Apple iPhone SE 2nd generation (2020 model), iPhone 7 and iPhone 8
- Made from high quality TPU rubber gel material. THIN SLIM DESIGN
- Soft rubber material to protect your iPhone from scratches, dirt and bumps
- Precisely cut openings to allow full access to all the functions of your phone
- Easy snap on/off installation
*as of Dec.21 2018
- Beige rose-swirl fabric accented by tan paw patches
- Soft, huggable plush built to famous GUND quality standards
- Ages 1+
- 24 inch height (61 cm)
- A CUT ABOVETHE REST. Features (15) functions including: 2.45" blade, bottle opener with screwdriver, wood saw, and scissors – this is multi-tool is the perfect companion whether you're sawing wood while camping, or fixing an item around the house.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION. Swiss Made stainless steel construction encased in polished translucent sapphire ABS scales provides sleek durability.
- COMPACT CARRY. Bring this knife with you on your daily adventures without sacrificing space - Fits comfortably in a pocket or bag, making it the perfect addition to your everyday carry.
- KNIFE DIMENSIONS. Length: 3.6” (91mm), Height: 0.8”, Weight: 3.4 oz.
- TRUSTED QUALITY. Made in Switzerland; Victorinox provides a lifetime guarantee against defects in material and workmanship. Making a lifetime commitment has never been so easy.
*as of Dec.21 2018
- USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 Compatibility
- Fast data transfers
- Improve PC Performance
- High Capacity; Compatibility Formatted NTFS for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7; Reformatting may be required for other operating systems; Compatibility may vary depending on user’s hardware configuration and operating system
- 2 year manufacturer's limited warranty
*as of Dec.21 2018
- Heighten your experiences. Enrich your adventures. Let the super charged PS4 Pro lead the way
- 4K TV Gaming : PS4 Pro outputs gameplay to your 4K TV
- More HD Power: Turn on Boost Mode to give PS4 games access to the increased power of PS4 Pro
- HDR Technology : With an HDR TV, compatible PS4 games display an unbelievably vibrant and life like range of colors
How we have come to this infographic
Since I’ve been a bit into marketing lately, I have a way of checking what search phrases are more or less popular in Google. And the phrase I was researching was “Gifts under X”, where X was a price ranging from $1 to as high as $10 000.
It turned out that Ahrefs had a ton of results based on these searches, and these results were so interesting, that we decided they should be visualized and shared. Just for fun. Or marketing researches. Or whatever other reasons you may think of.
We did not select the countries “manually”, but just included those on which we had the most data available – the results on other countries would have been too thin to make any valid conclusions.
Do not take those too seriously – as you might guess, the data is very approximate and you have probably heard the saying – “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”
But since we have those statistics at hand, we can not help sharing them with the world
Now, let me go on diminishing the value of my own work.
The query “gifts under” is biased itself, because if you search for something like this, this means you want something inexpensive and without a lot of thought (let Google do the job for you) – which is mostly the case if you’re looking for a bunch of gifts to give away to a large group of people – your coworkers, your kid’s schoolmates etc.
You don’t usually google “gifts under $10” looking for a birthday gift for your kid.
You do it if you want to make your 200 employees think you’re a caring and thoughtful boss by giving them postcards with candies in them.
But… as you have noticed, Europe and USA still have different approaches to that matter, and it looks like Spain isn’t winning in the “most generous” competition.
We’ve even got a few “gift under 50 cents” queries solely from Spain.
Which actually still makes sense. And to be honest, when my 2 year old daughter ( and all other children in the class) got a ~10 cent present from a teacher when she wasn’t really expecting it – her happiness was really priceless!
Other ‘weird’ thing was several searches for “gifts under 10000” from the UK.
Really? You’re ready to spend 10 grand and want someone to make a list for you?
How the research was performed
The method we used was pretty straightforward.
The main tool we used was Keyword Research by Ahrefs which shows how much a specific keyword is googled every month in a specific country.
Here we unified all queries like “Gifts under $5”, “gifts under 5 dollars” etc. to make a complete data for the $5 range, and we did so for all other price ranges.
I have to admit, we had A LOT of data for United States which made US statistics the most accurate, while Ahrefs had considerably less data for European countries – 109.000 results from USA vs <2.000 results from Germany, France and Spain. Still, even a couple of thousand results is enough to make some conclusions, so we decided to include this data, too. Hope you found our infographics interesting - maybe that will even help you decide how much to spend on a gift for your Australian uncle!